Saturday, February 16, 2013

One year ago

December 16th is a day I will always remember.  I got a call from Mikaela, she wasn't feeling well.  I made her an appointment with the doctor and intended to call during it.  I was in Seattle with Kamryn and couldn't go to Mikaela's appointment with her.  Spending time in the CICU with Kamryn had taught me to learn cues to when she was headed into a cardiac episode.  I saw the signs and knew what was coming even before blood work and heart monitors would indicate a change.  Later, that day I called Mikaela who was in tears at the Doctors office.  I spoke to the doctor who told me she wanted Mikaela to go to an emergency room to be evaluated further for the pain she was in.  It was possibly her appendix, the doctor didn't know.  A sick child in Seattle, another one in Port Orchard. Arrangements were made to get Mikaela to Mary Bridge in Tacoma.  I tried to get a hold of Mike, but he was in training and his phone was off.    So I called Teed Nail.  We made arrangements to meet so he could take me to Tacoma.  I walked out of Kamryn's hospital room, knowing how sick she was, and  headed to Tacoma, not knowing how sick Mikaela was..  Before I left the hospital I stopped at the nurses station and told the nurse, "I was tired of being in crisis mode, and to take care of my baby."  I left that hospital not knowing if I would have one or two children in the hospital by the end of the day.  In Tacoma at Mary Bridge my dear sister in law Elizabeth and Mikaela's boyfriend Tyler sat with her as she lay waiting for me to arrive.  I talked to Mike finally and he decided to stay in Seattle.  I would keep him updated.  I arrived in Tacoma about an hour later to find Mikaela in the very room where Kamryn was when we first were admitted to the ER. Memorys flooded my head.  Mikaela was in severe pain and needed several tests, a CT scan, ultrasound and some blood work. After hours and hours, those tests found nothing.  There was no known reason for Mikaela's pain.  She had been given pain medication, and then instructions and discharged to go home.  Elizabeth and I took Mikaela to Grammy's house, I put her in bed and gave Grammy the instructions from the doctor. With full knowledge that Mikaela was in good hands, I left, got my car and drove back to Seattle arriving there at about 2 am December 17th.  Kamryn was asleep and the nurse updated me on her care. We talked a little about Mikaela and I went to bed.  At some point that night they had stopped the feeding tube for Kamryn.  I woke up that February 17th around 8 am to hear Jason say, "We have a heart for Kamryn."

John 14:27 - 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment