Friday, September 14, 2012

The Princess and the Pee

This week no doctors appointments were scheduled we just needed some blood work.  On Wednesday Kamryn was running a low grade fever.  By  mid morning she had filled several diapers.  Not her normal MO.  In the world of babies this is nothing to fret about. I would have watched her for a few days and made my own call as to what was going on.  As the parent of a heart patient I chose to call the Dr just in case.  By the time the DR called back she had 3 more runny diapers, but the fever was gone.  I was told to monitor the fever and come in at 4:30 with Kamryn. Throughout the day her fevers fluctuated.

Kamryn has timed blood draws.  The medications she is on need to be monitored for potency between doses.  We went in for a blood draw at 1:00.  Drawing blood on a baby is not something everyone can do with ease.  The lady in the lab was not comfortable drawing her and asked us to wait for an hour.  Not something we could do.  I have been with Kamryn for every one of her blood draws and know that a heal poke works for the timed test.  I doesn't work for all of the test but we could get the timed test done on time and come back for the other tests later.  Long story short.  The phlebotomist that has drawn Kamryn before came off her lunch break and drew Kamryn's blood work.  One poke, one draw all done.  I trip to the pharmacy to pick up meds and off we go.

Between the blood draw and the Dr appointment Mark saw the Dentist.  He has sealants  HOOORRAAYY!

Back to the clinic for Kamryn's appointment.  I must tell you that my brain goes immediately to rejection.  I no longer jump around to the other possibilities of gastrointestinal issues or she's to hot and ate something that didn't agree.   The Dr. was great, he is good at listening and spending the time to reassure this sometimes crazed parent.  She probably had a stomach bug and would just need to be monitored.  Two days later she no longer has a fever or overly filled diapers.

Now to the title of this blog.  Last night after sleeping for several hours Kamryn wakes up screaming.  She is not easily comforted, doesn't want her bottle, or to lay down. She is such a content baby this was a little alarming.   Normally for her this means a bubble in her tummy. I gave her gas drops. (In know they may not work. But desperation is desperation.) I changed her diaper in the semi dark, it was just wet.  She continues to cry and be uncomfortable.  At 12:30 in the morning this is not conducive to a husband who gets up and goes to work.  Kamryn and I decided to take it down stairs.  With another diaper change, and slathered in diaper cream she went to sleep on the couch.  Me too.  A couple hours later, she screams again, needs another diaper change and goes to sleep. We repeated this throughout the night.  Not until morning, okay 7:30am do I realize she has a little diaper rash.  My sweet little princess can't sleep with a little pee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment