Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Off

Today Kamryn seemed off, her lack of bounce, her need to be held and her complete compliance were clues.  It could be her ears, or something else.  We are only 6 days out from Cath Lab, which went pretty good.  There is no sign of rejection, the arotic arch is growing both from the donor and the native side.  It's still miss shaped, but it's functioning correctly.  I am fully aware of how quickly a little one can go from good to bad. My choice is to always error on the side of caution and go with my gut.  So I made her and appointment for a potential ear infection.  

The appointment was an hour and a half from the time I made it.  As I hung up the phone, she vomited all over me.  After a quick shower for both of us, our second one today, her hands started turning blue, and her feed didn't turn pink immediately after touching them.  Her chest was pink and she looked fine. 

It the Dr office her oxygen saturation levels were low and her heart rate was high.  A different pulse ox and warm hands changed the sat readings and the heart rate.   The doctor then examined Kamryn.  As he listened to her heart, he heard a murmur. He asked me about it, I thought she did have one.  In one thousand healthy kids 800 could have murmurs.  60 of those could be from birth defects the rest are benign and more than likely will go away by the next visit.  Dr. F is an amazing Dr.  What he heard wasn't alarming to him.  We finished our talk and I took Kamryn home.  It wasn't until I got home that I realized I didn't know if Kamryn had a murmur before. So as every  heart mom does, I called her cardiologist.  There response was really are you sure, we need to call him. 

The Drs talked.  The murmur is in her pulmonary artery and not a concern.  The blue hands and low profusion is probably dehydration and I'm to follow her symptoms. 

As I said before her primary Dr is amazing.  He called me last night after work and talked with me for about 20 minutes.   With the procedure last week there could have been a possibility of endocarditis.  Invasive procedures sometime allow vegetation to grow in the heart, that creates symptoms such as murmurs, fevers and swelling. 

We are confident that Kamryn doesn't have endocarditis.  The murmur isn't in the right place, there are no fevers or swelling.  She is good.

There are times I feel guilty for pushing my child into an already crazy schedule.  Not this one.  The key is to go in prepared with observations, and be ready to defend those observations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment